Thursday, December 14, 2017

Staying Connected- Day Thirteen.

I was planning on talking about basically the same thing as Tristinn: Quality over quantity. But, she did that.

Every time I talk to someone that I haven't talked to in a while we catch up on each other's lives, of course. And then there in the inevitable turn to talking about everyone else in our lives, people that one of us hasn't spoken to in a while, but still curious and cares about. Tristinn and I did this just recently. While having the Skype conversation where we planned out this month of blogging we went through the list of people. And then we transitioned into talking about the fact that there just isn't time to talk to all the people we used to. Life has become quality over quantity, because it has to!

College was great! Everyone lived in the same house, or down the street and it was so easy to see each other and stay connected at all times. But this isn't college anymore, friends are spread out with marriages, pets, kids, jobs- and it's not so easy to stay in contact with the same quantity of people.

Tristinn pointed out in our last conversation that there are circles in our lives. The inner circle in partners and family members. The second circle is the couple of friends that you stay in easy contact with. The third circle is people you are happy to see and talk to, but it doesn't happen that much and neither side really tries. And the fourth circle is people you knew at one time and you may be friends on Facebook but you'll probably never talk to again. And I think this is OK, if I was still trying to talk to everyone I've ever known I would have little time for anything else.

My goal for 2018 is to stay connected. Have the people that are important and make an effort. Don't let LIFE be an excuse for not reaching out.

No comments:

Post a Comment