Every now and then, I really enjoy listening to John Mayer. This year, he came out with a new album. The songs revolve around the usual pop topic: love. The two catchy tunes on the album: "I Still Feel Like Your Man" and "Moving on and Getting Over" both deal with break-ups (it's reported these songs reference Meyer's break-up with Katy Perry. Just an FYI). Little did I know that I would get to enjoy the sentiments of these songs (and other break-up ballads) firsthand this year. Breaking up just really isn't the dream; however, it's taught me a lot about myself. Here's what I've learned thus far:
1) Remember that journaling thing I talked about earlier? Well, it really comes in handy when you are working through an emotionally trying time. You can be a neurotic as you want in a journal and you can use past journal entries to give perspective and encouragement. I'll say it again, journaling is a great thing.
2) Retail Therapy is real. Although I'm generally really supportive of minimalism and the reduce-reuse-recycle lifestyle, shopping has been a small balm for my soul during the break-up period. I've been particularly enjoying researching ethical products...and buying them (more on this a little later).
3) Always surround yourself with lots of people who love you. In the event of a loss, whether it's a divorce, break up, or death, it's so much easier to make it through when there are people around you who love and care about you. Nurture relationships in the good times so they can nurture you back in the hard times.
No comments:
Post a Comment