Tuesday, December 19, 2017

More is More- Day Nineteen.

I moved to North Carolina with two suitcases and a backpack. When I first moved in with Tommy he lived in a tiny 500 square-foot apartment. Just enough room for him, and barely for me. Our second apartment was a two bedroom apartment with almost double the square footage as the first. And now, we live in a townhouse with two floors and a basement, and it's full of stuff.

Sometimes this is overwhelming and Tommy and I get into a give-everything-away mode. But it seems that the more we give away, the more we still have.

For a long time this bothered me. I missed the days of college where my whole life could fit inside my Ford Focus. I wanted to be able to pick up an leave at a moment's notice. But, I don't feel that way anymore. I like having roots. I like having home. I feel no need to live in a tiny house, to have less than 100 belongings, to be able to fit my whole life in a backpack. I am bad a minimalism, and I'm ok with that.

My focus is more on sustainability. We use the re-usable bags, we try to fix before we throw something away, we recycle, we use less plastic, we buy products that provide producers with a fair wage. But it often feels like not enough. I would like to move towards living more sustainably, which will probably mean living with a little more minimalism in my life. The Earth has enough problems without me adding to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment