This year I read a book called The Road to Character by David Brooks. In it, the author explores our current cultural views of character and gives biographical sketches of important historical figures of character. The book was so interesting to me because our society doesn't talk a lot about how to create a quality moral character. I was also fascinated that each of the people spent much of their energy going deep inside themselves to gain control of their internal character, which in turn, changed their outer character. I often think I have to "do" something to develop into a better person, but this book suggested that we have to start within.
"Diving into ourselves" can be an immensely challenging task. It's hard to find the time, space, and the will to do that level of introspection. However, I was reminded this year how valuable reflection and mindful thought really are. Here's what I've learned:
- I'm 3 weeks into a 4-week online mindfulness course. I'm enjoying all the new knowledge, and committing to a course helps me maintain a more regular mindfulness practice. I've become convinced that mindfulness can improve almost every area of life. It gives me extra skills to pause, reflect, enjoy life now fully.
- The other way I've experienced "diving into myself" this year is through journaling. I've been a journaler for several years now. I don't journal everyday, but I have found pen & paper provide an excellent mechanism to explore thoughts and provide order to the mind. And, as I learned this year, old journals provide a marvelous way to reflect on your post journey. My old journals showed me how much I've grown and changed over the past year.
I hope each of you have had the chance to reflect this year as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment