Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Few Overwhelming Yes's - Day 17

Bigger Dreams 2018 = Activism

Like Annie, I recently created a more organized giving plan, rather than the haphazard donating that I had been doing. I now have a lovely spreadsheet listing all the places I want to donate to throughout the year with their amounts. In terms of money, I have a plan.

However, when I think of activism, I don't really think about money. I think about time. Being active for something means participating in the noble act of giving something or someone your time. Sadly, I'm still pretty haphazard with my time. I say yes to things that really aren't on the top of my priority list or I say yes to too many things and come to regret how busy I am later on. In terms of time, I don't have a plan.

But what if 2018 could be different? I'm wondering what would happen if I treated my time a bit more like my money. No, I'm not saying that I should make a spreadsheet with all the things I'm being active for and list out their times...or maybe I am. There seems to be a lot of value to having a clear understanding about which things deserve your action, so that you are prepared to get rid of everything else. As The Road the Character said, you have to say a thousand no's so that you can give a few overwhelming yes's (paraphrased).

So, in 2018, I hope to refine my activism by saying no more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment