Bigger Dreams 2018 = Interests & Hobbies
When I was younger, I used to read BUCKETS of books..somewhere between 50-80 per year. I passed hours reading and the physical books that lined my bookshelves brought me real joy. Through the years, the busy-ness of life took over and I started to read less. College was the lowest point in my reading life...who wants to read when you've spent ALL DAY reading for class? Not me.
Recently, I've wanted to get back to reading. The internet is full of stories about the decline of reading in America, and I really don't want to be one of the 27% of people who haven't read a book in the past 12 months. (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/one-four-americans-didnt-read-book-last-year-180960340/). As a teacher, and as someone who grew up reading, the idea that adults stop learning about the world through words is saddening.
So, this year I decided I wanted to do more reading. I aimed to read 2 books a month for a total of 24 books and I've read 20 so far...the last few days of December could be rough. Some of the books were okay and some were life altering. It reminded me why I love reading so much and why extensive reading, not 5-second scroll internet reading, is SO important. It strengthens the mind and the spirit.
So, in 2018, I hope to continue riding the reading train by completing another 24 books.
No comments:
Post a Comment