Saturday, December 23, 2017

Fish are Friends Not Food- Day Twenty-two

I want to be a vegan. But I eat chicken, and fish, and while we're in California I've definitely eaten In-N-Out Burger. It's complicated. I want to be a vegan not only my own health, but for the health of the planet. Meat production is extremely destructive to the planet. It is the single largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, and is a leading cause of land and water use, deforestation, wildlife destruction, and species extinction.

About 2,000 gallons of water are needed to produce just one pound of beef in the US. And the majority of crops grown across the world go to feeding animals being raised for meat.

Animals raised for meat are very often not treated well. In the summer many animals die of heat exhaustion and in the winter they freeze to death. Animals are treated like a commodity, and not like a living being.

Through this year I've started following rescue farms on Instagram, and I've made connections with real animals that have suffered at the hands of the food industry. Flick the baby goat, Chester the cow, Dragonlord the pig.

These are a few of the reasons that I would like to make changes in 2018. The more I learn, the more I feel called to these changes. Making sure I know where my food is coming from, and not buying from farms that don't treat their animals well.



No comments:

Post a Comment