Monday, December 11, 2017

I'm still Married- Day Eleven.

During college I left everything behind and moved to Cambodia for a year.
After college I left my beloved Oregon for a year in Asheville. Before I decided on Asheville there was a lot of searching. Both the Soul kind and the Internet kind. Where was I going to go? What was I going to do? When I finally decided on Asheville, I imagined myself living in the South for one year exploring the racist roots of our country. After that year, I was going to be open to whatever. Europe? Sure. California? Yes! The midwest? Absolutely not.

But instead of several years of exploring, life happened. I adopted a cat, met a cute boy, got fired, bought a fish, got married, adopted a second cat, and a dog. I just celebrated my fourth year here in Asheville. I'm in school. I give historical tours of Asheville. Somewhere in my plan to be here for a year I formed a relationship with a town and Asheville became home.

I am no longer a single entity, a lone-wolf, I am married with at least seven responsibilities. This is sometimes difficult for me. I spend a lot of time on Zillow's website thinking about where Tommy and I should move. Last night I paused the show we were watching to look up price of homes in the town featured in the show. I have DREAMS!

Tommy and I have been married for over a year. I love being married. I love the certainty that the same person will be at home every night, that I am not in a relationship at risk. I was never good at dating, and I'm often not good at being married. But, I do like it a lot more. Tommy often says to me "one thing at a time" as a reminder that we can't up and move tomorrow. We have responsibilities, jobs, and several animals who all depend on us.

I don't pretend to know anything about being married. But I do know that Tommy's steady, calming nature is a perfect match for my unending restlessness and anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment