Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The highlights of 2015- Day Two.

It's 9:30 on day two and I am just starting this blog, this does not bode well for this month. Also, I just took a sleeping pill, so this is officially a race against time.

Here is a re-cap of the highlights of 2015:

1. I spent from January to June working two jobs.
           In the morning I would drive half an hour to an elementary school where I was a teacher assistant for four hours. And then I would drive 30 minutes to a second school where I ran an Afterschool program for the YMCA for 5-7 hours. And then I would drive 30 minutes home. I listened to a lot of books during this time.

2. Tommy and I spent a month in Oregon this summer.
          This was a delightful time of togetherness, and joy. I love everything that is the Northwest.

3. Tommy and I are engaged!
           He proposed while we were in Oregon on the top of Mt. Tabor. It was magical. After, we stood in line for an hour at Salt & Straw. Also magical. It made me super sick. Not magical.

4. I was hired by Tommy's school as a history teacher.
           This was literally every dream I had coming true. History teaching! At Tommy's school! I quit the other school I worked at last year and I quit the Y.

5. I was fired by Tommy's school.
           This happened probably two weeks after they hired me. The turn around times on the firing is getting quicker and quicker around here. This was super shitty. There is no other way to put it. There are shitty people who work in that school district.

6. I work full-time for the YMCA.
          Before I started working for the Y I had no concept of what the Y even was. It was never on my radar growing up, so starting work at the Y was like entering a whole new world. I still am discovering different facets of the work. The Y is a community. Working in Youth Services has given me so many opportunities for growth and development. After Tommy's school fired me, I called my Y boss and asked for my job back and I was welcomed (and promoted) with open arms. As the year progresses I am more and more thankful that the school didn't want me. I love working in a school, but not for the school. I love being the boss. I love the opportunities I have to create programs, write curriculum, run school's out programs, mentor staff, play with kindergarteners, go to meetings with people who are excited about life, and be a part of something that is so much bigger than me. I have lived in North Carolina for almost three years, and in January will be a year with the Y. I feel like I have found a community, and a reason to stay in the South.

7. I love my cat.
           My dream is to open an animal rescue specifically for cats and dogs with disabilities or special needs. Does anyone have a million dollars and a farm I can have?

No comments:

Post a Comment