Saturday, December 12, 2015

Day 12 - Rockin' the Strengths

Today, I'm going to go to my friend Kelly's house to help her clean and organize her things. It's going to be great! I'm excited about it.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Over the years I've become accustomed to how people react when I tell them about my love of organization, sorting, cleaning, and labeling. The response I get is usually one of these three:

1) Oh my gosh, that's weird, but come over to my house soon!
2) Oh my gosh, that's weird. Don't come near me.
3) Oh my gosh, me too!!!!! Let's compare organization techniques!

I've always loved organizing. Even when I was a kid, playing barbies meant separating and organizing their lives, not telling a story with them. When the barbies' lives were all set up, I was done playing. Clearly, I didn't acquire this skill. It was one of the bonus gifts I got at birth. As I've grown older, I've come to really appreciate this interesting skill set. Although I haven't put "organizing" down on a resume yet as a skill or a hobby, I think it really does enhance and enrich my life. It's not a skill that I have to learn or consistently work on, it's a strength that comes easily and naturally to me.

And come to find out, it's a skill that not everyone has naturally. There is a huge need for organization in businesses and organizations everywhere. Many people have to work really hard to acquire the skill of organization. Sometimes, I think I take my natural abilities for granted. I spend so much time focusing on the skills that I want to have or that I view as weak. Every once in a while, it's nice to remember that we all have innate strengths that we can use to do good in the world. We don't always have to work so hard to improve ourselves.

So, my final thought for you today is: Don't get distracted "fixing" all the life problems you have. Yes, work on them, but also do what you already naturally do. Rock Your Strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment