Friday, December 18, 2015

A Computer as Old as Time- Day Seventeen.

My work computer is literally the oldest computer ever made. It is a laptop that weighs approximately eight pounds, takes six minutes to turn on, and has a battery that lasts for about seven. Taking it places with me is a hassle, but I have to do it almost every day.

One of the IT guys was set up at Youth Services today to work on our computers, and he made a comment about how we have the oldest computers in our Y. I asked if we're ever going to get new ones, and he laughed. So that seems like a good sign.

To make up for how old my computer is, the Y has some of the best IT people around. Two weeks ago I submitted a help-ticket because my printer stopped working. One the of the IT guys called me within 15 minutes, and we spent the next 20 minutes on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. We were unsuccessful, and he told me to bring my printer in the next day and he would look at it. I ended up fixing it myself after we got off the phone. (After typing this story I realize calling them the "best" now seems kind of sarcastic, but I think I was mostly impressed that he called me so fast...)

I spend a lot of time on my work computer, making schedules, writing curriculum, sending e-mails, and I'm always surprised that it keeps working. It hasn't given up yet.

At the beginning of the school year I was running a table at a school event, and I had my computer set up and plugged in to the wall. A child tried to run in between my table and the wall, in doing so they caught their leg on the cord and my computer went flying and smashed to the ground. It was fine. Literally nothing happened to it.

I feel like technology these days is so delicate. I got a new phone recently and I had to buy a $40 case to protect it from falling three feet, and I am constantly concerned about my MacBook. But I could literally throw my work computer across the room and it would still be fine.

I don't know what the moral is here. I don't want to go back in time to old technology. I just want things I can rely on. Things that can fall out of my hands and still be fine.

Or maybe I need to be more like the old technology. Unbreakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment