Thursday, December 24, 2015

Day 24 - News Aware

I try my best to be 'News Aware'.

Every morning when I go to check my email, I scan the headlines and read any news articles that seem important or newsworthy. When I drove my car to work, I would spend the commute listening to local news and NPR. Unfortunately, reading/listening to the news can be depressing, exhausting, and demoralizing. Or just plain Stupid. Take these headlines as example:


Some days, I stop reading the news after a few minutes because it is too depressing to continue. Why is the world falling apart like this?

Today I clicked on a link in my news feed and ended up watching this video. Click on the link, go watch it. In case you don't have the strength for one additional mouse click, the video shows how many deaths occurred during WWII. It shows how much more deadly WWII was in comparison to any other conflict on earth. It's really pretty amazing. The film also points out that deaths due to conflicts have dramatically decreased since WWII. (Seriously, click on the link and go watch it.) 

As I watched the film, I began to think about how humanity is downright terrible at times, but we have our moments. Moments were we recover, grow, and change. Yes, we do terrible things. But, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we are fascinating, entertaining, or inspirational. Take these headlines for example:


Maybe I'm just focusing on the wrong news.

No comments:

Post a Comment