Today was the last day of school before Winter Break. Tommy has no work for the next two weeks. I, on the other hand, have two days off in the next two weeks.
We run programs everyday of break except Christmas Day and New Years Day. So for the next two weeks four Afterschool sites will become one. I am in charge of my district. I planned the staff schedule, I wrote lesson plans, I planned field trips. I am invested in how the next two weeks go.
I am a micromanager. This is not something I am proud of (sometimes it is). I think this stems from having very high expectations, and and being the one who ultimately has to take responsibility when they don't go well. My supervisor keeps reminding me that everything isn't going to be perfect, and that's ok.
So as we go into next week, and I have three binders full of preparations, here is a list of things that have not gone well during the last few full-day programs:
1. During Thanksgiving break some people came to work on the roof of the gym, and we couldn't use the gym all day. No one told me ahead of time. I had to keep 80 kids in the cafeteria and outside.
2. Field trips are late/show up too soon.
3. Crafts don't go well/aren't enough supplies
4. The gym is loud and a mess as parents are dropping off and picking up
5. The school locked us out of the library.
6. Rain on days with outside field trips
7. Parents are upset they don't have enough information.
8. Children are children.
I have to constantly remind myself that I can't control everything. I can do my best to prepare, and train my staff. I can show up early and stay late. But people are people, and life is complicated.
Yay, SOP.
No comments:
Post a Comment