I don't know if I will ever commit to running a half marathon. Maybe one day, but it isn't currently on my "To Do List". But, if I paid $100 to sign up for one, I would definitely follow through.
There is something about publicly committing, either via a Facebook post or by paying an organization to let you run, that helps us find the strength we need to do difficult things. It adds force and weight to our decisions. I mean, that's why we have baptisms, weddings and Bar Mitzvahs, right? There is power in making the act public. Making a habit or lifestyle change public can improve your likelihood of success (read this interesting article to learn more about the nuance of that statement). I pretty sure that was the only way my Bigger Dreams 2013 year of no sugar was successful.
So, what public commitment should you be making in your life?
No comments:
Post a Comment