I am two people in one. During the day I am Work-Annie, and at night I am Home-Annie.
Work-Annie is great, when I am at work I am am organized, dependable, committed, on-time, clean, over-achiever. I may not be much fun sometimes, but you bet everything is done.
Home-Annie is a little different. At home I have trouble cleaning, focusing on tasks, being helpful, listening, being on-time.
Tommy has said several times that he wishes Work-Annie would come home sometimes. And our biggest argument comes back to this point, I am two different people.
This isn't all bad. Home-Annie is fun, and wants to relax and have a good time. Work-Annie makes me tired.
In college I was in a class with someone who was perpetually late, at one point he showed up on time and was praised by the teacher. After sitting down next to me he made the point that he had lowered this teacher's expectations enough that doing what was expected of everyone else was a praiseworthy accomplishment. This is Home-Annie's attitude. Sometimes I clean, and am helpful, and when I do Tommy is very forth-coming with praise.
Tommy is the same Tommy all the time. He is the same level of responsible at work that he is at home. He cleans first thing when he wakes up, and right after a meal. He takes care of everything, and cares about everyone. Is this nature or nurture?
Tommy is often not crazy about Home-Annie. I don't blame him.
So the question is, how do I bring Work-Annie home? Or at least combine the two and be the same Annie all the time?
No comments:
Post a Comment