I have spent the last two Christmas holidays with Tommy's family. Last year we went to D.C. with EVERYONE. And this year his parents and sister came to our home. They are a lovely bunch, kind, considerate, giving, and grown-up.
Tommy is the most grown-up person I know. He is always taking care of me, and making responsible life choices. Tommy is an apple that doesn't fall far from the tree. I often struggle with basic things like doing the dishes, or offering to help.
Since the beginning I have admired the way his family interacts. There isn't yelling, no one is quick to snap, it's like a Norman Rockwell painting.
My family is not like this. They are nice people, don't get me wrong. But they are loud, and weird, and not quite so grown-up. (I am an apple who has also not fallen far from the tree.) Tommy has pointed out on more than one occasion that when we are around my family I tend to revert into teenage-Annie. There is arguing, and meanness, and general un-grown-up-ness. I noticed it too, but I thought it was normal. When everyone is at home they turn into their child self, right?
It turns out this is true, but according to THIS article, it's only if you haven't established a grown-up relationship with your parents. Tommy is a grown-up with his parents, and I am not.
I enjoy spending time with Tommy's family and I look forward to much more of it in the coming years. But I am on a mission to be a grown-up with my family too. I just have to fight all of my natural urges to fight, and ask myself: What Would Tommy Do?
No comments:
Post a Comment