Sunday, December 8, 2013

Day Seven- Even this blog is late.

I've never been the type to take time seriously. I say I hate when people are late, and then I am late to everything. Friends at home will joke, because when they tell me a time they know they have probably an hour more after that to wait. This is not an attractive quality. I can laugh, but I'm not proud. 
Yesterday, this once again became a problem. Tommy planned the entire day. We had talked about it throughout the week: going to the Biltmore to see Christmas decorations, and shopping. He planned it for me. He texted me several times yesterday morning, updates on Biltmore availability, and how busy it was going to be. To him, this was telling me to hurry, to me this was just information.
By the time I got to his house it was almost one o'clock, and from what the website said the Biltmore was full for the day. He was not mad. Or course not, he's literally the nicest person. Instead, he was disappointed- so much worse.  
We decided to try, can't hurt to just go ask if there was any more openings. 
Standing at the desk at 12:56, the lady informed us they had a house opening at one o'clock. I was so relieved. I had almost ruined the day, but we were going to get in, things were going to be fine. 



We spent a few hours walking around the house and the grounds. I really dislike Christmas but being at the Biltmore with all the decorations was just magical.


I channeled my inner Tristinn and wrote and spent the next thirty minutes singing a song about Instagram. 



We left for dinner, and came back as the sun was setting. Candles lined the driveway to the house, and the tree in front was all lit up. It was pure magic. It was one of those moments that you just need to stand and take in for a second, because you know it's not going to be this good again. 


I don't know what the day would have been like if we had missed getting in to the Biltmore. I imagine we still would have shopped, but it wouldn't have been the Christmas magic. Tensions would have been high, because I had ruined the big plan for the day. Yesterday was a big reminder for me, there are things I want to work on about myself. There is still so much room for growth.
Tristinn, we do a lot of these projects were we work to improve ourselves: running, sugar, blogging. Maybe we need to think about a project where we work on the parts of our insides that need a little tweaking. Always being late can make for a good story, but it makes people lower their expectations of me. And that is not the dream.

Moral of the story: Make the people in your life feel like they are important, be on time, follow through, be accountable.


No comments:

Post a Comment