Tristinn's biggest character flaw is so all-consuming, it's sometimes hard to see other flaws in the wake of its huge-ness. I'm not good at making decisions. Not to say that I make bad decisions, I just wallow in the decision-making process and drag it out WAY past its prime. I weigh all the options, ponder all the pathways, or just ignore everything until the very last second because I don't want to make the decision. (I mean, choosing what to write about in this blog entry was much more challenging than it should have been). I have said more times than I can count, "Why are decisions so hard???"
I wish I could say that I've gotten better at decision-making as I've gotten older. I mean, I've gotten better at doing lots of other things over the years. But no matter how much life improvement I make, I can't seem to make any note-worthy strides in the decision-making area. This is a problem as life is pretty much one decision after another.
(Now I don't know how to end this blog. Another over-thought, agonizing decision...)
I particularly have a rough time choosing between two things that are of equal value. How do you choose between good and good or bad and bad? When you're choosing between two things of the same value, there is no clear choice. Choosing to eat at Taco Bell over Burger King is unlikely to have unearthly negative consequences - it's just a decision. I guess it's times like these where you just have to choose. As my family has told me so many times, "JUST PICK ONE!!"
And yet, I can't. I'm not built for "just pick one". That's utterly not my style. Sometimes I wish it was but it's not. I need to agonize a little bit. Perhaps it's the long unhappy decision making process that helps insure the quality of my decision in the end.
I'll never know for sure. I'll keep working on my decision-making skills but I don't know if I'll ever be good at choosing. And that's okay for now.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Flaws are annoying and deserve your attention and effort to improve them. However flaws make you who you are, so embrace them.
P.S. For those of you out there who struggle to make decisions, this is a nice read:
![]() |
| http://www.amazon.com/dp/145588443X |

No comments:
Post a Comment