Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day 21 - All the Small Things

So on my Now 4 (refer back to Day 5 if you're not sure what I'm talking about) CD there is a Blink 182 song called, "All the Small Things".  Again, if you are a 90s kid, you'll know what I'm talking about.  The lyrics aren't particularly noteworthy but the gist of the song is that it's the small things that actually matter in the end.

Tonight my friends and I were having a "Life in review" night.  We were particularly commenting on how small things can lead to big things and that's it's amazing to look back and see "what started it all".  For example...

When Lindsay and I were looking for apartments in Seattle, I was inclined to living downtown near the school.  I wanted to experience "city" living to see what it was all about. At the time, Lindsay was dating someone in the area and wanted to live on the Eastside of Seattle.  Definitely not near the school and definitely not in the city.  I wasn't married to the downtown idea so I was cool with the Eastside.  It ended up being the best decision ever!  

Living on the Eastside has been wonderful.  My apartment is two blocks away from church; I met a bunch of wonderful people and created a great social network; I love living far from the city near trails and lakes for running; and I enjoy living far away from school so I can have a break.  My roommate's simple request had many positive ramifications for me. 

One small thing, one small decision, one small moment can have a powerful effect on the rest of our lives. It's hard to remember that in regular life. In the end of all things, it'll be the small things that matter.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Pay attention to the small things - they matter. 

Late night, come home
Work sucks, I know
She left me roses by the stairs,
Surprises, let me know she cares

Say it ain't so,
I will not go,
Turn the lights off,
Carry me home

No comments:

Post a Comment