Sunday, December 1, 2013

Day 1 - Awkward Family

"So have any of you heard of Awkward Family photos?"  

I listened attentively to the Pastor as he rolled through the rest of the introduction to his Saturday morning sermon.  I smiled to myself as I envisioned some of the photos I had seen over the years.  I figured that everyone had seen at least one of the comical, make-you-love-your-family-more photos (http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/).  Turns out I was wrong.  

My mother, upon hearing this same introduction, took it to mean, Quick!  Take out your phone and look for these amazing online photos in the middle of church!  Now normally I wouldn't condone surfing the internet during church but I can understand her curiosity.  However, what I didn't know is that the awkward family photo website she was about to enter would create the most awkward family moment we had had in a while.

I was still listening to the Pastor's musings when my thoughts were interrupted by a blast of noise emanating from a video (embedded on the awkward family photo site) playing my mother's phone.  The entire row of family members leapt to help my mom squelch the disruptive sounds.  I think the video played for a grand total of about two seconds but it seemed like an eternity.  At this point there was really nothing myself or my sister I could do except for cover our faces and try to keep from dissolving into hysterical laughter at the horror and the humor of the situation.  Awkward family photos breed incredible awkward family moments.

Some time later...


One would think that one memorable family moment per day would be enough.  Fate thought otherwise.  

After spending a lovely afternoon at and around Pike Place, my family and friend group of seven headed back to our seven-passenger van in the parking garage.   After squishing ourselves into the van, we prepared for departure.  But sadly, we couldn't back out because of the line-up of cars behind us who were also waiting patiently to get out.  In fact, we had to wait 10 minutes IN OUR PARKING SPOT before we could even back out.  Thus began the hour-and-a-half journey I now think of as "The Parking Garage Exodus".

I can't really tell you why we were trapped in that parking garage for over an hour.  We never really found out.  I can tell you that we were there long enough for several of us to take extensive walks, for me to sing every Christmas song I know (and lose my mind), for my sister to send and receive several SnapChats, and for Matthew to regret he had never met the Williams family. 

MORAL OF THE STORY: Families were meant to be awkward.  Embrace those moments with pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment