Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Z is for Zone

Zones. Comfort zones.

Today, I spent some time reading the internet to learn more about Comfort Zones. One of the interesting things I stumbled across was this article on Comfort Zones. I recommend reading the whole thing, but here are some of the highlights. According to the article, "A state of relative comfort creates a steady level of performance. In order to maximize performance, however, we need a state of relative anxiety - a space where our stress levels are higher than normal. This space is called 'Optimal Anxiety', and it's just outside our comfort zone...Optimal anxiety is that place where your mental productivity and performance reach their peak." It then goes on to say that if we take time to experience optimal anxiety, we will be more productive and better able to deal with change, brainstorm and push boundaries. (If you want to find out more about comfort zones, turns out there are quizzes with corresponding TedTalks that help you measure your comfort zone.)

To be honest, I'm not sure how much I've thought about purposely getting out of my comfort zone. I do it, but I don't usually think of using it as a tool for personal growth. As I've already mentioned in this blog, I traveled to England by myself. That was out of my normal comfort zone. My boyfriend is a pretty strong introvert, so I find myself trying to embrace quiet and silence more. That's out of my comfort zone too. 

I'm starting to think that "exiting the comfort zone" purposefully might be a good think for me to pursue. So, as 2016 draws to a close, I'm thinking 2017 might need to include more time out of my comfort zone. It would be a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment