Saturday, December 3, 2016

B is for Britain

This year I had the pleasure of visiting the British Isles for the first time. For three weeks, I traveled by plane, train, car, and ferry through Wales, England and Ireland. As always, my travel experience was downright majestic; it helped me grow, explore and change. This is just what happens when you travel (hence why I'm such a proponent of traveling). Here are some of the top ways I grew and changed because of my latest travel experience. 

#1 - It's downright wonderful to travel by yourself.


Before going on this trip, I was a bit apprehensive about traveling alone for a week and a half. Though I've been to many places and am by no means a novice traveler, this would be the first time for me to travel by myself. I was a little nervous about safety, but FAR more nervous that I would be bored OUT OF MY MIND! I mean, I can't talk to myself the whole time. People will think I'm weird!


However, as the departure date of my trip drew near, my nervousness began to change into excitement. The benefits of traveling alone began to overshadow the possible negatives. I was going to have several days to do WHATEVER I WANTED. No work/life responsibilities and no travel companions to compromise with.


As trip progressed, I grew to love the solo travel even more. It meant I had to make all the travel logistic questions by myself. It meant I never had to eat at a restaurant that I didn't like. It meant I could get up and go to sleep whenever I wanted. It meant I could see whichever attractions I wanted without compromising. In real life we never get to do that. We are always being pulled by responsibilities and the needs of others. Taking a break from that was lovely.

Nandos - The restaurant recommended by my sister who spent a year in England.
Traveling alone means you perfect the art of the selfie.
#2 - Couchsurfing could change the world.

For those who don't know, Couchsurfing is the practice of staying at people's homes for free (www.couchsurfing.org). I have "surfed" several times in several countries, and this trip gave me an opportunity to do it again. I stayed with a lovely couple from Northern Ireland while in Wales. They kindly took me around for the day and shared their food and knowledge with me. In the 48 hours I was with them, I learned more about the culture/history of Northern Ireland and the mentality of 20-somethings in Britain than I had learned in my previous 27 years. 


This was also the first year I was able to host surfers. Over the course of the year, I had three groups of people come to my home.


The beauty of Couchsurfing is that it makes you trust people. It also puts you in someone else's space. You learn, grow and change. Your understanding of individuals and groups of people is expanded. I firmly believe that if everyone did couchsurfing, even just once, that perhaps they would be changed in some small way. And if everyone experienced just a little bit of change, our world would be better for it.


#3 -  Treat yourself every once in a while.

Before leaving on this trip, I was DETERMINED to go and have high tea (I've become a tea afficionado of late. It's Seattle. If you don't like drinking a warm beverage here...then you just don't belong). I didn't need to spend $150 on high tea, but I did want to have a nice high tea experience. My mother questioned if I really wanted to have an expensive, high tea by myself; it's usually a social affair. I thought about it and decided YES! I want high tea and I will go by myself.


So, I dressed up (meaning I didn't wear comfy, ugly travel clothes) and went to one of the recommended high tea places on the internet. To be honest, it was awesome. I ate pretty finger food, sipped buckets of tea, and read a book while occasionally looking out the window. Sometimes, it really is worth doing something that you really want to do, even if it's just for you.


#4 - Nutella might be the most stolen item in the grocery store.


And so, I beg you all. Go travel. It'll change you for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment