Saturday, December 31, 2016

AMP and TAW

To wrap of 2016 I am going to write three themes of my life that I am going to live out in 2017.

A is for Annie and also Anxiety. I have a lot of anxiety. It wasn't well controlled in 2016. It made a lot of choices for me, told me how to feel, and what to think. Through a combination of counseling and medication I've made a lot of strides. I would like to continue down this path of understanding and acceptance of myself. In 2017 my anxiety will not run my life.

M is for Michelle and also Magic. So many things are The Dream. It's not that hard to get me pumped about an activity or an idea. I believe in living in a land where everything is great and magical. I don't ever want to lose that. But it's also very easy for me to fall in to a routine and not be able to pull myself out. I need to find that balance. Tommy doesn't love going out all the time, he likes quiet time at home and so do I, but we can't do that all the time. In 2017 I am going to find a balance between the me who is TOO excited and the me who doesn't want to go outside.

P is for Palumbo and also Palumbo. I didn't change my name after Tommy and I got married. I have no plans to change it. This was a hard concept for my parents to get on board with. But it's always just made sense to me. I am a Palumbo. It's part of my identity. I have no brothers, no male cousins, the Palumbo name ends with me. (And Katie.) It's not that Tommy's last name is Cox, the Cox tribe is a proud group and I am happy to be one of them, but I'm still a Palumbo. After we got married and people found out I kept my name the number one question I was asked was: How does Tommy feel about it? --He feels fine??? Also it isn't his choice?? Also he isn't going to change his name to Palumbo so why would I change mine??? In 2017 I will live the Palumbo name loud and proud.

And now, my turn...

T is for Tristinn. A is for Annae. W is for Williams. 

To be honest, as I thought about what kind of themes I want to live out in 2017, the thing I keep coming back to is me: Tristinn Annae Williams. In 2017, I want to be as true and real with myself as possible. I don't want to be distracted by the desires, expectations, and needs of others. I don't want to get caught up in the squabbles of the internet or depressed by the complex and deep problems of this world. I want to know myself better and impact people in a positive way in my immediate sphere of influence. I want to have integrity with myself and the world around me. So, look out 2017, it's the year of TAW.

(As a sidenote, the word taw is also the large marble used for shooting a games of marbles as well as the 23rd letter in the Hebrew alphabet. Woot!)

1 comment:

  1. December was a busy month, but tonight I'm being grandma to a sleeping 2-year-old while her moms ring in the new year. So I read your entire month in one sitting. Thank you for entertaining me, challenging me, and making me think about living mindfully rather than just getting through the weeks. And thank you for being open about seeking help for anxiety. It affects several people in my immediate and extended family, and those who get help get better. It is a treatable illness. Keep on blogging and I hope you both reach your goals and dreams in 2017.

    ReplyDelete