I feel like I am always on a quest. A quest for happiness, a quest for the best nachos in town (found these BTW, they're at Thirsty Monk.), a quest for a new routine, the next step, a better idea.
The last year or so with the job I've had I've started to feel pretty settled. Which is nice, but also not. Because I don't want to run Afterschool forever. I love the Y and I love Afterschool, but that is not what I started out to do.
My counselor and I talked a lot about this idea. This idea that what I started out to do many years ago, to be a teacher, is that actually what I want? Or is it what I want because I don't know what I want. I thought about this for several weeks and I decided. I want to be in education, but more than I want to be a teacher, I want to be a principal. That is my quest. So it follows, that every decision I make from now on will be to honor that quest. The quest to be a principal.
I started school in August to become a teacher, because that is the first step. I've gone back and forth with my relationship with the Y since I started school. It keeps me stable, but it also isn't honoring my quest to be a principal. And I think for now the pros out-weigh the cons.
We'll see where I'll be a year from now. Hopefully several steps forward. And hopefully still honoring my quest.
No comments:
Post a Comment