Thursday, December 8, 2016

G is for Gilmore Girls

I've been re-watching Gilmore Girls recently, and I've been having a lot of feelings. The last time I really watched Gilmore Girls was when I was in high school (?) and it was on tv. If you haven't watched Gilmore Girls, it's the story of a mother and daughter who are weirdly close, and their relationship through the years and through the men.

Years ago while watching, I remember feeling angry at Lorelai: "why doesn't she understand! Let Rory make her own choices!" I judged Lorelai for never settling down when plenty of men were offering, like Max who was the best. I also definitely sided more with the Rory side of things, and was more about the boys. #teamjess.

I now feel differently. While yes, Rory should be allowed to make her own choices, she was also a dumb kid who let her feelings get in the way of her dreams. I now see the value in Logan and what he helped Rory become. I also now admire Lorelai for her unwillingness to settle for anything but the best, for not allowing Luke to push her aside, for not marrying men that she wasn't truly in-love with.

I haven't watched the four newest episodes yet, I have about seven episodes left in the 7th season. But I think that as much time goes by Gilmore Girls will hold a special place in my heart. And as much as growing up means siding more with the mom on issues, I will forever be #teamjess.

No comments:

Post a Comment