Saturday, December 24, 2016

W is for Weird Walla Walla What?

I received a very interesting call today from the city of Walla Walla, Washington. A lady from the electric company in Walla Walla called me and said I had a refund coming from when I lived there, but it was returned to them because my address was out of date.

I said: Who is this?

She explained it again. The electic company in Walla Walla is a non-profit co-op, and when they close their years they try to return some of their profits to their consumers, and I was one of those people.

I said: Is this a scam? Are you real?

She went on to tell me the address that I lived at in Walla Walla, my parents address in Oregon City, and my e-mail.

I asked how much the refund was.

She said: $4.62

I laughed and asked again if this was a joke of some kind

She said no. She said usually they try to get out checks before people forget who they are, but in this case it doesn't seem to have worked.

I asked if she could just donate the amount to some dog somewhere.

She said she could apply the amount to their scholarship program.

I said sure, do that.

She thanked me for my donation. And we said goodbye.

What? Is this real? Is there really such a thing as a non-profit co-op electric company? If there is, I donated, so I can feel good about myself. And if there isn't, what a weird way to scam people.

No comments:

Post a Comment