Otis joined our family the day we got back to Asheville from our wedding. I knew I was going to add a second cat pretty much from the day I adopted Puff. Tommy has been more on the fence, but reluctantly agreed as Puff has become a round cat and needed some company, and plus, with a second cat we could leave town and not feel as guilty about leaving Puff behind.
Puff welcomed Otis with open paws, and they have become best friends. Yesterday Tommy was talking to Otis and I heard him say that Otis was a great addition to our family.
Even with the second cat, we've continued to foster cats. Mostly against Tommy's will. One day over the summer I texted Tommy that I had a surprise for him, and when he got home I had two foster kittens waiting. He was thrilled. But I can't help it. I receive the e-mails from the foster coordinator asking for help and I reply. We have rooms! Let the cats in!
Our current foster is Vaughn. He came to us with an upper respiratory infection, and while healing from that he developed ulcers in both his eyes. When Vaughn first came to us he was so stuffed up that he could hardly breathe. He refused to eat for the first day he was with us and just laid in the same spot all day and night. I eventually sat down with him, pried his mouth open, and smeared wet-food in his mouth repeatedly, until he finally agreed to eat. The ulcers have been hard on him, they're painful and he can't see. He's become nervous and overly cautious, and I worry about him.
| Vaughn pre-ulcer |
I love fostering cats, it's an easy way to give back. If you have an extra room in your home I encourage you to reach out to your humane society about fostering. There aren't many kittens this time of year, but there are so many cats like Vaughn who just need a safe place to heal and rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment