Saturday, December 10, 2016

I is for Instagram

I am a big fan of Instagram. Of all the social media platforms, it is my favorite. There is minimal dumb-facebook-political posts, and there is a maximum of cats. If you don't follow Puff on Instagram, you're really missing out @puffthemainecoon. Look her up, I'll wait.

As I've built my Puff-platform over the last several years I have grown to have personal feelings about cats I will never meet in person. There is a very real cat community on Instagram. Everyone knows everyone, and is willing to put in a good word. There have been occasions where a cat gets sick and the community will rally with funds to help. Or sometimes a cat will die unexpectedly and the community will mourn with that family.

Puff has followers that always like and always comment, and it may seem like something so small, but I love Puff and I love sharing her with the world. And I love that there is an accepting place out there that is built for pictures of cats. After this election I had to take a break from Facebook. It was all too much. But Instagram is definitely a safe-space where I can see where I want to see, and no be bombarded with photos, and videos, and new stories that are distressing.

As I have muddled through anxiety Instagram is one of those places that I can count on to calm me down. Scrolling through the recommended for me section, or just through Puff's feed there is always something uplifting or fuzzy. Both work to make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment