I used to think Tommy and I were great at communication. Because when you live 3,000 miles apart for seven months you get super awesome at talking. And playing online scrabble- we did that a lot too. (Confession: sometimes I would cheat so Tommy wouldn't win. I never told him). Obviously moving to North Carolina would be a piece of cake. Cake built on a foundation of scrabble deceit.
A few Sundays ago Tommy and I had the dumbest fight of my entire life.
Tommy was stressed about some work he
had to do for school, I on the other hand wanted to go walk dogs for several
hours. We agreed to compromise, after we ran to the store we would pick up a dog for me
to hike with while he worked. Once we were in the car Tommy changed his mind, he wanted to walk dogs after all. I said no; I wasn't wearing the right shoes for this plan change. He reacted with anger - not that much anger though as he is still the nicest person to ever live - because I hadn't anticipated that he would change his mind and prepare for all possibilities.
Naturally, after a short shouting match I became indignant and didn't talk to him for twenty minutes. Because I'm a grownup.
When I was fired from Fletcher I was told that my inability to read between the lines and understand what my boss really wanted was a problem. At the time this made me furious. And it still does to an extent, but at least now I can at least laugh at the complete ridiculousness of everything that was my experience at Fletcher Academy.
Tommy and I are not reading each other's minds yet. Hopefully not ever. I'm pretty sure his brain is mostly filled with football scores and thoughts about how adorable I am. (Mine is mostly about my cat.) And I hope to never again be in a situation when what a boss tells me they want is not actually what they want.
My life is a never ending lesson in communication. I believe more and more in transparency in relationships, and we all learned it at a very young age: honesty is the best policy.
P.S. Tommy just got home from work and I told him I'm writing about an argument we had. I said: Guess which one! And he said: No idea, there are too many to choose from.
So there's that.
No comments:
Post a Comment