Sunday, December 14, 2014

Day 14 - Tomie daPaola

My dad is a veterinarian but
My mom has strong feelings against animals and
I'm quite allergic to cats.

Cats were not always welcome in my house.

I did, however, have one cat growing up - Tomie. Right before we got the cat, my sister and I had watched a Barney episode where children's illustrator Tommy daPaola (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomie_dePaola) had been featured. The illustrator had obviously made a big impression on us since we felt it was an appropriate name for our cat.

Tomie was weird. He liked to chew electrical cords. This meant that we had to duck tape all the electrical cords around the house and spray them in hopes to deter Tomie's appetite. Nope. We lost lamps, electric blankets and a menagerie of other electric treasure to that cat. Unfortunately, I don't have many other memories of Tomie. That's the one that has stayed through time.

Sadly, Tomie eventually disappeared, probably due to the coyotes that roamed our neighborhood. It was a common fate for cats in southeast Arizona.

And on that happy note, I give you Tomie:


No comments:

Post a Comment