**See Day 3 if you are confused by the fact that Day 2 is being written after Day 3 and is being published on Day 4**
Annie's right - Uncertainty is the only certainty.
Last night, my good friend Jennifer Burke came to my house for dinner, merriment and general life discussion. We shared what was going on in each other's lives and did a quick catch-up of our mutual friends. Throughout the process of moaning and groaning about our own lives and the lives of others, Jennifer and I exclaimed several times, "I just don't know what I'm doing with my life!! I thought my life would calmer, simpler, more put together at this point."
I think life lied to us. We both believed that as we got older, the big life decisions would get simpler, would happen less often, would cause less stress. Not true. The big life decisions are constant, stressful, and are now more nuanced and complex. Decisions no longer seem so mutually exclusive; one decision causes a cascade of consequences that are life-changing and often permanent. Knowing how to navigate this complexity is a lifelong (and beyond) process.
There is, however, a silver lining. Turns out that no one knows what they are doing. Every person on this planet is struggling to successfully make big life decisions. For some reason, there is some comfort in remembering that no one has their life together. So in light of the fact that no one will ever be able to master this decision-making skill, I plan to take the advice of Ashleigh Brilliant, "If you can’t
learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly."
Here's to living it up as a bad, big-life-decision maker!
No comments:
Post a Comment