Here is my attempt.
For the past two major holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas, Annie has joined my family in our annual festivities. This is the first time a girlfriend of mine has ever participated in my family gatherings. Family is incredibly important to me, so you would think I'd be nervous bringing a girl home for the holidays, but I think Annie's been more nervous than I. Understandably so, because when it comes to my family, we have a lot of traditions.
Our traditions for Thanksgiving and Christmas are so extensive, I'd need a separate post for each. However, some highlights include:
- Watching football all Thanksgiving Day and weekend - NFL and college
- Sometimes going to a football game - Its usually blistering cold
- Eating a whole lot of meat and potatoes - HUGE home-cooked breakfasts and dinners with lots of leftovers
- Giving each other more gifts than we need on Christmas
- And overall spending a MASSIVE amount of time with family.
None of these, I've come to find out over our year-long relationship, appeal to Annie whatsoever. In many cases these activities are the opposite of what she chooses to do on a daily basis. Especially watching football. She could give a flying crap. So again, I can understand why she would be nervous and why these experiences might seem painful for her.
But she's done well. Actually, she's been incredible.
Seriously, she and my two year old nephew are best friends. He always asks for Annie if she's not in the room. She's made everyone in the room laugh on numerous occasions. She's helped clean-up meals and clean rooms. She's held her own.
I don't think my family is all that intimidating, but I've grown up with these traditions. These are mine. This is where I'm comfortable. When you bring someone new into your comfortable zone, you expect there to be a little discomfort; however having Annie here with me has proven that theory wrong. At least for me. Honestly, she's added to my comfort.
I am so happy she joined me on these two holiday adventures. She (and me, but mostly her) has experienced a lot this year. One GINORMOUS adventure consisting of more job changes for her than she cares to think about, two (for lack of a better word) evictions that were not her fault, a 3000 mile road trip with her father and her cat, another 3000 mile road trip this time with me and her cat, six months of skyping everyday, two extended time periods where we've lived together in my tiny 500 sq ft apartment, and now spending the holidays with my family rather than hers.
And she's taken it all in stride.
She's a good one. I'm glad she chose me (for now). Heck, she got more presents from my family than I did on Christmas. That doesn't happen. Ever.
Is that a sign?
No comments:
Post a Comment