Friday, December 26, 2014

Anything Can Happen- Day TwentyFive.

For the last few days Tommy and I have been in Alexandria, VA with his family. We're close enough to D.C. that going up for a few hours of museums is easy-peasy. On Wednesday, Tommy's brother was going in to work for a few hours, since he drives right by the National Mall Tommy and I hopped a ride. It was a gloomy, rainy day- not ideal for a morning of walking outside. We were dropped off at the Natural Museum of Natural History at 9:30, the museum doesn't open until 10. I didn't let this inconvenience dampen my spirits, but Tommy spent at least twenty minutes not being happy about the change of plans.

In March, Tristinn and I spent a week in DC with Alex (who invited himself along, and flew in from Brazil for the occasion). We had planned this trip for a while, and then I was fired, and we weren't sure it would happen. But through a series of fortunate events everything worked out. And I do mean everything.

Here are some highlights:
1. Myron. Our host who was the most fabulous person I have ever met. His house is a constant revolving door of strangers. He believes that his couch should be slept on. Every night. We met some interesting people, and were inspired by the kindness of Myron.

2. We did a five hour walking tour of the monuments in the freezing rain. We walked about five miles and were frozen and drenched.

3. Escalators. In DC they are magical. They go on for a year, they're huge! It was so thrilling I couldn't get over it.

4. After a particularly magical escalator ride Alex and Triss announced they were dating. MAGIC!

5. North Carolina. We took a weekend detour down to see Tommy. It was the first time any of my friends had met Tommy. It was also the first time I had seen Tommy since I moved. We did Asheville things and Tommy got to know some of my favorite people.

6. Tryst. DC is marked by its profound lack of coffee shops. After a suggestion from Myron we walked for an hour to a place called Tryst. After ten hours of museums all we wanted was sitting and calm. Tryst was a dream come true.

7. We didn't win the lottery, which was a bummer.

8. Capital tour, museums, food, coffee, sugar days, Tommy. Magic.

Our theme song for the trip was Anything Can Happen by Ellie Goulding. We flew across the country with expectations that would leave us pleasantly surprised with anything short of getting mugged. We listened to the song about thirty times on the drives to North Carolina. Magic!

This week as Tommy and I spent time walking the streets of DC I was reminded of the time Triss and I spent in here. Anything can happen and there is no reason to be anything less than thrilled.




First night in Myron's house. We agreed to eat one cookie each, and then we ate a full box.


Mid walking tour. Can you tell that we're wet? 


Trying to get dry was a futile activity.


North Carolina bound!


Time with Tommy!


After our capital tour we asked if we could just sneak in to look at Congress and they said yes!


Magical magical Tryst. Literally the best tea of my life.


DATING!


 We can't all be winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment