Merry Christmas!
After waiting for all the relatives to arrive in town, tonight was finally Christmas Dinner and Present Opening time. The dinner was lovely and the present opening resulted in lots of laughter and amazing photos as seen below. (Jep looks pretty spectacular in his new Christmas sweater).
As a child, waiting two days until December 27 to open gifts would have been deeply distressing, perhaps even catastrophic. I remember Christmas day at my grandparents house and the agony that accompanied waiting for all of the parents to wake up and gather around the tree for presents. I also remember how awful it was to have to wait to open your gift or to wait for someone else to open the incredible gift you got them. I'm glad I've grown out of that.
The excitement and heart-pumping enthusiasm has decreased a little bit since I was a child, but it has been replaced with a deep appreciation for the love, family, tradition, and blessings that I get to experience during this holiday. A child's view of Christmas is very narrow. Christmas is much bigger, fuller, and deeper than gifts. Christmas is this:


No comments:
Post a Comment