Over the weekend Tommy and I bought some hand soap at Bath & Body Works. They smell incredible. I just washed my hands and in between sentences I am holding my hands to my face. This addition to the apartment has made both Tommy and me super jazzed about hand washing. While my immune system is pleased, this is not a good enough reason to keep my sense of smell.
Whenever I smell something terrible I try to take a moment and remember the worst smell I have ever experienced. It was in India, just outside the walls of the Taj Mahal. It was like someone had taken rotten eggs, boiled them in poop juice and then left it all to bake in the hot hot India sun on a pile of garbage. Which to be honest, is not far from what it was.
There was a restaurant situated about a ravine, and since the sewage and garbage system is not what we experience in America the restaurant had used the ravine as a toilet, and garbage pit for probably years. It is no exaggeration to say that this was one of those smells that would cause a person to puke instantly. This smell stood between our hotel and the rest of Agra. This smell haunts my dreams to this day.
This smell is the reason that if I had to give up one of my five senses I would give up smell without question.
Sure, Christmas morning is made more special by the smell of cinnamon rolls, and the smell of coffee is magic. And Bed Bath & Beyond would probably lose a lot of money is smells didn't matter. But rotten eggs boiled in poop juice? Done. Take it.
I read an article recently that talked about haunted houses being expanded to include smell-scapes. Because smells cause an uncontrollable reaction in people, they can play a big part in fear if done correctly. Read the article HERE. One more reason I am OK without smelling.
Plus, recently Tommy decided we are in a place where farting is appropriate. So that's really the only reason needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment