Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Day 30 - Adulting

My theme for this year started way back in January when Annie and I started our latest and greatest "thing"; we started reading a book a month. January's book (you can read my review here) focused on how Twenty-somethings should be living their lives. Hence my yearlong theme of trying to adjust to being an adult.

After eighteen years of education, I finally stopped going to school and started going to work. Since I'm a teacher, the transition wasn't too bumpy. Nonetheless, it's strange to be earning money for a change and it's very strange to be completely in control of your own destiny. I love the freedom that control brings but I'm not so sure how much I love the responsibility. I am now financially and legally responsible for my own well-being. My parents still pay my phone bill but that's it.

2014 brought a lot of fun moments - 10,000 weddings, trips galore to Washington D.C., Brazil, Tennessee, New Mexico and the San Juans, 5k races, friends, food, and forced reading. It was also full of moments of transition - moving apartments, new boyfriend, graduating from grad school, and a new job. Throughout all the fun and transition, the overarching question for me has been, "Now that you are an adult and are in control of your own life, what thing of value are you going to do with your life?". It's a fabulous question that sooner or later each person has to answer.

My wish is that 2015 brings me closer to the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment