Friday, December 11, 2020

The Joy and Sorrow of Homemade Haircuts

 About two months into quarantine Tommy couldn't handle his hair anymore. He was used to getting haircuts monthly, and several months without one had turned him into a grumpy, long-haired monster. So he told me to watch some YouTube tutorials while he went to Costco and bought a clipper set. 

I watched several videos, I read a couple of articles and I (thought I) was ready. But here's the thing, the patience, and precision it takes to cut short hair is not a skill I possess for more than a couple minutes at a time. I started off strong. I trimmed. I went slow. Tommy was feeling the joy of a new haircut. 

And then I got bored and flew too close to the sun. I went too high and too short and there was no fixing it. What started as me trimming Tommy's hair turned into a near buzzcut. All joy was lost. And the sorrow of letting his dumb ADHD wife cut his hair set in. 

Here's a before and after so you can better imagine it: 

Every subsequent haircut has followed a similar pattern. I start off strong, and when something goes wrong Tommy starts yelling at me (It's not real yelling. It's mostly like when a parent is disappointed in you for getting a bad grade on a test). He then will take the razor away from me and try to fix it while grumbling to himself about why I don't follow instructions. He'll question why he even lets me try. He'll try to convince me to try harder next time. And then he'll take a shower and get over it. It's a classic grief cycle once a month. 

It is now December. And we're still doing homemade haircuts. Still following the same pattern of joy to sorrow. The sorrow to joy ratio in the homemade haircut is 80/20, but at least Tommy looks adorable in his homemade haircut cape.

1 comment:

  1. What, you get a fun looking pink drink as a reward for sitting through these homemade haircuts?

    ReplyDelete