Monday, December 7, 2020

Love...and Hate

Annie and I haven't bothered to mention it yet, but we are going with "Fruits & Vegetables of the Spirit" this year. I.e. we're using the traditional biblical fruits of the spirit and their opposites as our inspiration. 

I have a distinct memory of going on a hike with my family when I was a kid. Somehow we wandered onto the topic of death and funerals. We spent the majority of the hike detailing the line-up of my parents' funerals and body disposals. My mom's funeral program would be in a form of a checklist and attendees would be given chocolate and trash bags {to remove liter} as their "party" favors. My dad requested that his ashes be sprinkled in Paradise {Arizona}. 

Since that conversation, I've thought a little bit about what I would like to have happen at my death. The only thing I know at this point is I would like these two songs played at some point:

Song #1: La Despedida by Shakira 


If you don't speak Spanish, you can go Google the lyrics translation. Basically, the idea is that after someone you love is gone/dies, life stops being worth living (the song is from Love in the Time of Cholera after all). I think there should be at least 3 minutes at my funeral where everyone weeps at my passing. 

I've told many people about this song; and everyone HATES it. I don't know if it's the unfamiliar instruments, the foreign language, or the dark themes, but people have not been fans so far. I don't care; I like it and will demand that it get played in spite of the universal hatred of the song. 

Song #2: Love Makes the World Go Around by Deon Jackson


There is something just delightfully festive and upbeat about this song. It's hopeful and feels like the musical version of Spring. This one shall get played as well, because even though I want deep sobbing for 3 minutes of my funeral, I'd really like it to only be 3 minutes. More than 3 minutes would not be my style. I want the other gazillion minutes to be focused on the joyous, beautiful and lovely things of life. And there's nothing quite so joyous, or so true, as the concept in this song. LOVE really does, Make The World Go Round.

3 comments:

  1. I can just see you in that hike with your parents discussing the practicalities of your deaths. Of course the chocoholic would want her favorite vegetable passed out to the attendees. And isn’t your grandfather’s ashes in Paradise?
    I’ll have to listen to your friends most hated song but if it’s from Love in the Time of Cholera ( my second favorite to 100 years of Solitude) I’ll like it!
    Love your musings. Keep them coming and live to Annie!
    Have you watched Schitt’s Creek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! You are correct.

      I have watched Schitt's Creek. I enjoyed it very much.

      Delete
    2. Ireneieeeee!!!!! We need to get into the same space sometime soon. Talk, drink chocolate, feel cotton yarn, connect!!!!!!!

      In the meantime, Tristinn, clearly you and I cut from similar modes; sort of. I like La Despedida but not the hokey triangle stuff of World Goes Round. Are you child of the 60s? I can promise if you go before me, I will cry. For more than three minutes. But I will also smile. Mum

      Delete