During the last nine months of mask-wearing, there seems to be two reactions to non-maskers in public: 1. Offer them a mask, kindly remind them to protect others in public. 2. Confrontation. Rude condescension.
Do you want to guess which type I am?
Here is a selection of things I have said to people in public:
"Why are you not wearing a mask? Maybe you are not aware there is a deadly pandemic?"
"Way to not give a crap about anyone but yourself, how very mediocre white male of you" (I've used this one a couple of times)
"I need to to take two big steps back for me"
"In a pandemic?!" (This is my response whenever someone tells me about a party they attended/traveling they did/other risky behavior.
Tommy does not enjoy being in stores with me. He says I'm "too confrontational" and "going to get punched". But here's the thing, the time for kindness around pandemic behavior in public is over. We're nine months into this mess. If you're in Costco without a mask on, I feel like it's well within my rights to say something.
I've started a campaign called Public Shaming to Save a Life. My success rate is about 50%. I get "shut up you dumb bitch", "I have a mask" (this is where they wave the mask in their hands at me), or they look around confused as to who I am talking to.
It might be rude, but my patience for people who refuse to care about the health of others is at an all-time low during this pandemic.
No comments:
Post a Comment