Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Kindness...and Rudeness

Small Preamble: I'm also not as confrontational as Annie (sometimes I need a little more confrontation in my life; keeping Annie around helps remind me), so no yelling at the no mask wearers for me. Plus, I live in North Seattle where compliance is really high. But her blog did prompt me to Google what DOES work regarding Masks? You can check out what I learned in my cursory search here and here. 


Anyways, back to kindness and rudeness...

Annie does have a point. COVID-19 has really highlighted the ways in we are kind or rude towards one another. Generally speaking, I've seen people in my day-to-day life be incredibly thoughtful and kind to one another. The news and the internet sometimes paint a bleaker picture.

So what does kindness look like in 2020? Is it the same as it's always been or is it different? Here are the things I came up with:

  • When I asked Bianca about this, she said, "Buying me donuts". So, that's going at the top of this list. 
  • Zealously pursuing authentic communication
  • Asking why instead of assuming the answer
  • Allowing ourselves to not live up to our expectations
  • Wearing only the comfiest clothes in your closet
  • Hydrating, moving, and nourishing ourselves
  • Purchasing our online hordes more thoughtfully
  • Watching as many Korean/Japanese/Chinese dramas as possible
  • Following the best scientific advice, even if it changes tomorrow as new science unfolds
Kindness is a lot more than this short list, but these are the things that felt kind to me in particular this year. What did kindness look like to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment