Thursday, December 22, 2022

#theworldcup (Annie's Version)

 

You know when you're around people who are speaking a different language and while you are able to smile and nod, nothing sticks in your brain? You're aware that communication is happening- people are having thought, feelings, and ideas- but all you can really hear is the theme song from SpongeBob? That's what it is like when a sporting event is on the television. I am aware it's happening, but it is making no impact on me. 

And, unfortunately for me, I married into a Sports Family. They tailgate, they watch, they have opinions, they are a house-divided (Tommy and his brother went to rival schools). And what's worse! They prefer college sports to grown-up sports! It irritates Tommy to no end when I complain about having to watch teenagers play football on a school night. (When are they going to do their homework?!)

But, once every four years I can be convinced to care. Once every four years I can have feelings about people kicking a ball. The feelings are still minimal, but they're enough that I have had soccer playing in my classroom for the last month. And honestly, the kids were watching it on their phones anyway, so it really just saved me an argument to project it myself. 


And it's been so fun! Especially as the World Cup neared the end, you could hear the games coming from almost every classroom while walking around the building. You could tell which classrooms were using legitimate sites and which ones were using illegal streaming sites based on the delay in cheers after a goal. 

I was a little sad the final happened after school let out for break. Half the fun of the last month has been watching the kids be so excited about the games, teams, and players. 

Anyway, I can't wait for the actually good soccer next year with the women's World Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment