Sunday, December 4, 2022

December 4: #Mbappe #Giroud

For the last few weeks, most of the world has closely been following what is arguably the most important sporting event in the world, Yay World Cup! I have not been following Men's The World Cup much, but I do know that 1) Lionel Messi almost missed his shot at a World Cup title once again, 2) there's been a number of big upsets (Saudi Arabia? Japan? Costa Rica?), and 3) our US team performed respectably (we didn't even qualify the last time).  

Sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by how little the average American knows about soccer (including myself) since it is such an important global sport. In particular, our U.S. Women's National Team has been spectacular for several years now (we've won the last two World Cups). I have been following the news coming out of that team because they, spearheaded by the admirable Megan Rapinoe, have championed women's equality in sports and are winning. In September, the U.S. men's and women's teams signed a new contract that formalized equal pay. Hot dog, that's awesome!

Even though I'm not much of a sports fan, there is something magical about them. Sports can be such a powerful way to connect with people and grow as a person. Global sporting events such as the Olympics and the World Cup help us connect to the rest of the world, and honestly, they are just a lot of fun. 

In 2014 I had the opportunity to go to the World Cup in Brazil. It was supremely fun. The people, the energy, the interest in shared goals...just a beautiful experience. So, if you don't have a lot going on this week, perhaps it would be worth tuning in.

  

P.S. Cheers to Kylian Mbappé and Olivier Giroud for being good at soccer!


No comments:

Post a Comment