Tuesday, December 31, 2019

What I Plan to Learn in 2020 (Week 5)

Tristinn plans to learn more about....

... recruiting. My new job has a recruiting component, and it's all new. I'm excited to learn more and get better at my job. 

... PhDs. I don't know if I'm ready to get one, but depending on my career trajectory, one might be required. I'm not eager to do research, but I do love school. So it's time to start thing about what that would look like. 

... being an aunt. Kelsi and Matthew are having their first child in January, so I get to be an aunt! As I've never been one, this will be a new experience. It's gonna be fun!

... purpose. Teaching has been my biggest purpose for a long time. Now that I'm not doing that on a daily basis, I need to rethink the bigger picture for myself.


Annie plans to learn more about... one thing.

Here is what I've learned from years of blogging. I am not capable of achieving ten things a year. I can't even change my life in five ways. I can do one, maybe two, big changes a year.

My big focus in 2020 needs to be money. I need to learn how to control it, save it, and watch it.

Tommy and I have some debt left over from student teaching, buying two new cars in one year, and our move to Charleston. And I want 2020 to be the year we finally pay all that off.

So here is my goal: I am doing a no-buy year in 2020.

I am of course still allowed to pay rent, put gas in my car, make student loan payments, and pay for other essential things. But,

1. No new clothes, books, houseware, seasonal decorations, or impulse purchases. Anything non-essential is out.

2. One-to-one replacements are allowed. For example, I recently ripped a hole in my favorite, and only, pair of Nike shorts. It's fine for now because it's the middle of winter, but I will replace them closer to summer. And of course, when I run out of things like shampoo or deodorant, I am allowed to buy more.
          a. That being said, I will track all of my replacements throughout the year to watch my consumption habits.

3. Groceries need to be planned and budgeted. This means meal planning and them letting Tommy do most of the shopping because I have no impulse control.

4. Learning about money and minimalism. I want this year to be one of education for me I want to learn more about minimalism or essentialism or whatever you want to call it. I want to learn more about my relationship with money and with STUFF by taking a step back from it all. I want to learn better money habits, and I want to learn what it feels like to not be in debt!

No comments:

Post a Comment