On January 1, 2019, I binged the entire season of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo and I was inspired. Tommy had been out and came home to find me surrounded by every piece of clothing I owned asking if it brought me joy. After debating if I actually brought him joy, he got on board and we spent two days going through our house.
We reduced our closets from over-stuffed hoarding dens to reasonable spaces with room to spare. We reduced our bookshelves from four jam-packed no-more-space spaces to four bookshelves with room to spare (it's still four bookshelves, but we're doing a lot better). We went through our kitchen and found wedding presents that we had never opened and kitchen utensils whose purpose we could not guess. I was able to condense all of our seasonal decor from all over the house, under beds, and in closets to four-Rubbermaid tubs that fit neatly in our laundry room.
At the end of it, I sat down and looked at my phone and began mindlessly scrolling through Facebook. But, why? Facebook brings me no joy, it feels literally useless and joy-sucking. I went through the app and deleted every person that I have literally no interest in to see if that helped, but it didn't. So I just deleted the app from my phone.
Do I still mindlessly scroll through Instagram and Twitter? Yes. Do I sometimes use my laptop to get on Facebook? Yes. I'm glad to have taken this first step, but there needs to be more! In 2020 I want to spend time evaluating my relationship with social media. What is its purpose? What joy is it bringing me? What could I be doing with that time? How do you apply the Marie Kondo method to your online life?
Deciding what brings me joy extends beyond my home. It also means my classroom, my community, and my online presence.
No comments:
Post a Comment