I live in Charleston, South Carolina. This city has some deep, far-reaching, racist roots.
In 1720 over 40% of all Africans shipped to North America entered through Charleston. But, there is almost no memory of that in Charleston. Other than the giant houses downtown, and the smattering of plantation-turned-museum that exist around Charleston.
The privilege that existed among white slave owners then still exists now. Gentrification is slowly moving families who have been here for generations father and farther out of town. Young, white people are moving in and "cleaning up" the neighborhood.
Something I've heard a lot this year is "gentrification is genocide", and the longer I live in Charleston the move I believe it.
2019 will find me doing the work of anti-racism.
The work of learning to be quiet and let others speak. Of learning to speak up and call out injustice. Of questioning the source of what I consume be it books, TV, podcasts, or movies. Of being uncomfortable admitting my mistakes, and learning to call out and acknowledge my own privilege.
I've started here: Me and White Supremacy Book. Layla Saeed (who is linked below) put together this resource for people who are wanting to lean-in to the work of anti-racism. It often makes me feel defensive, but I am learning to let that go and acknowledge I am part of the problem. Saeed says: "The work doesn't start 'out there'. It starts 'in here'." This is an amazing resource that I will put in the hands of anyone who asks how to start.
I've also made sure I am learning from BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) in every area. I've linked some people below who are teaching me so much every day.
Rachel Cargle
Erika Hart
Layla Saad
No White Saviors is an account that EVERY Adventist needs to follow. It's going to be uncomfortable, but it is so necessary.
As my journey continues into 2019 a quote that has stuck with me from No White Saviors says something like "We are not being asked to apologize for our ancestors, we are being asked to dismantle the systems of oppression they built that we continue to benefit from."
No comments:
Post a Comment