1. Run one mile a day: I am a failure, and that's ok. For about two months I've had a bad cough that's made it hard to do anything. I've been on antibiotics- which didn't help. And I've been on steroids- which kind of helped. The point being: I haven't been running like I should. I am debating on if I should even do the half marathon because of how behind I am. We'll see how May goes.
2. Pass the Praxis: I took all three at the beginning of April, and I have passed one! I am still waiting on scores for the other two. I thought they would be in last Friday, but they might not be in until next Friday. But, I worked hard on studying and felt good about all three.
3: EcoChallenge: For this challenge I kept a food waste journal, and went paperless.
Food Waste: As far as wasting actual food this challenge wasn't a problem. Being vegan has cut down on a lot of waste problems. I buy mostly fresh things, and am pretty good about eating them. I did throw away some mushrooms, and some lettuce. The bigger problem I encountered was the waste that comes with the food. Everything is in a package. Every food has to-be garbage attached to it. As the month went by I began to feel more and more guilty about the amount of waste involved with food. This is something I will address in my May goals.
Paperless: I went paperless in my classroom pretty successfully. It was definitely a switch I had to make in my mind. For everything I planned I had to spend extra time thinking: how can I do this without paper? The kids were fine with the switch. It cuts down on them losing things, and it cuts down on me making copies. In the end being a paperless classroom might just be easier. Home is a different story. I was very aware every time I was handed a receipt, or checked the mail and it was full of junk: this isn't a paperless life. And it turns out, unsubscribing from junk e-mails is easy. Unsubscribing from junk real-mail is much more difficult.
Tristinn's Report
1) No "Stuff" Buying - Going strong!
2) Read 2 Books - I finally met the 2 books goal and I'm almost done with another. Woot!


3) Participate in the Drawdown EcoChallenge - For this national challenge, I kept a food waste journal and ate vegan. Here are my thoughts:
Food Waste Journal: This wasn't too bad. I learned that I do pretty well when it comes to throwing away food. I eat leftovers, constantly check my produce and make efforts to eat it before it goes bad, and I try to eat as much of the produce item as I can (e.g. I eat the whole broccoli stock).
Vegan: This was harder. I tried this challenge because reducing our use of animal products is one of the best things we can do for the environment. My takeaways from this include: I should eat less cheese, many vegan substitutes are not healthy, so stick to fresh things, and I actually might prefer soy milk in my coffee. Overall, it was a good thing to do. I won't become a vegan anytime soon, but I will make some changes to move me a little bit closer.
Food Waste Journal: This wasn't too bad. I learned that I do pretty well when it comes to throwing away food. I eat leftovers, constantly check my produce and make efforts to eat it before it goes bad, and I try to eat as much of the produce item as I can (e.g. I eat the whole broccoli stock).
Vegan: This was harder. I tried this challenge because reducing our use of animal products is one of the best things we can do for the environment. My takeaways from this include: I should eat less cheese, many vegan substitutes are not healthy, so stick to fresh things, and I actually might prefer soy milk in my coffee. Overall, it was a good thing to do. I won't become a vegan anytime soon, but I will make some changes to move me a little bit closer.
No comments:
Post a Comment