We spent the last few days of December in D.C. with Tommy's brother and his family. On New Years Eve we went to a party with his brother's friends and their children. They're all in their 30's with kids, and careers. I commented on the way over that it was like we were going to a party with "real" grown-ups. I imagined it would be like looking into the future, a future where my paycheck has a lot more zeros on it.
The party was delightful, as any party with 10 toddlers would be. The parents talked about brunch, and lactating, and how terrible it is to have flakey friends when you're trying to plan a menu. Tommy and I just kind of sat back and took it all in.
At one point one of the moms was talking about the birthday party they had thrown for their daughter. Some of their friends had shown up in workout clothes. She turned to us in outrage, Can you imagine?! Workout clothes! How dare they!
I think I laughed out loud.
The next morning I went running along the Potomac (I bring this up because it was the greatest place to run EVER.) and I thought about the future and what I want to look like when I am a "real" grown-up.
I don't want to be someone who is concerned about what others wear to my child's birthday party (or ever).
I don't want to be someone who doesn't smile at strangers in public.
I don't want to be someone who forgets to use my turn signal.
I don't want to be someone who excludes others.
I don't want to be someone who has less than ten cats.
I don't want to be someone who procrastinates the little things. (Sorry Triss!)
It's only the fourth day of 2016, there is nowhere to go but up!
No comments:
Post a Comment