Wednesday, November 5, 2014

August: The Opposite of Loneliness (Tristinn's Review)

Many of you (Okay, maybe only one or two of you) may be wondering what happened to my dedicated blogging. I mean, it's November and I'm just barely posting about August's book. Well, as it turns out, you sometimes have to wait two and a half months for your book of the month to become available at the library. The library's inability to have more than a few copies of a very popular book and my own busy life have put me woefully behind on my blogging. Alright, enough whining and on to the book...

The Opposite of Loneliness was our first anthology of short stories, both fiction and nonfiction. Although I don't think I had a favorite, each story had something unique to say about how humanity works. Although the book itself was wonderful and the stories in it were beautiful, it's the story of the author that really captured my interest. The author, Marina Keegan, was a blooming writer who had just graduated from Yale and was slated to work for The New Yorker soon after graduation. The following week, while driving home with her boyfriend, she was killed in a car accident. You can tell from the writing she left behind that she had tremendous talent and would have written many more beautiful things had she had the chance.

Her story and the work she left behind reminds me that life can only be lived in the moments. I have no control over how many moments I get to live; I can only control the quality of life in those moments. So here's to a needed reminder to not get caught up in the checklists of life. May I remember that each moment should be appreciated and experienced.

WILLIAMS SCALE RATING: Fragrant Lentil Soup {Good food for thought}

No comments:

Post a Comment